☛ PhaidonPress on YouTube: “The Art of Looking Sideways” by Alan Fletcher, 2001. © Phaidon Press
The Art of Looking Sideways is a massive book by famous graphic designer Alan Fletcher (1931-2006). It was published in 2001 by Phaidon Press. It’s a hardback only book, measuring 9 5/8 x 8 1/4 in and running 1064 pages. It includes 295 colour illustrations and 390 black and white illustrations. Visit the editor official website for more information.
Below you’ll find some online resources about Alan Fletcher:
- The British Design Museum produce an exhaustive presentation of Alan Fletcher’s work along with a full bio for its 2006-2007 exhivtion “Alan Fletcher: fifty years of graphic work (and play)”
- You can read Alan Fletcher’s obituary in The Times
- … or read his obituary in The New York Times
- The Design Observer ran an article about Alan Fletcher a couple of days after his death, in September 2006. The article was written by Michael Bierut, a partner in the New York office of Pentagram, “the world’s largest independent design consultancy”. Pentagram was co-founded by Alan Fletcher himself.
- Check a selection of his work at The D&AD Blog